

VUSAC Meeting

Feb 27, 2012

BC 20

VUSAC

Chair	Siming Zhang
President	Brandon Bailey
VPI MAL	Adam Martin
VP External	Shoaib Alli
Finance	Brian Im
Communication Commissioner	Ruta Rudminaite
Sustainability	Tegan Hansen-Hoedeman
Special Projects	Evita Tremblay
Education & Equity	Alex Goel
Scarlet & Gold	Kathleen Walsh

ASSESSOR AND EX-EFFICIO MEMBERS

CRO	Rob Rubbini
Orientation Co-chair	Carrie Proctor
Caffiends	Susan Wang
VCAA	Deanne Vincent

9:16 Kristina Minella, Anastasia, and Savannah Sloat

9:17 Ryan Palkowski

Hannah Nitefor

9:19 Mariam

-Meeting officially called to order at 9:20 pm

- **Official regrets:** Christian Julien, Sohaib Ahmed, Karol Dejnicka, Elliot Meyer, Emily Johnson, Christianne Johnson, Zenia Miner

-Approval of last week's minutes by Angela, seconded by Brandon, 1 abstention

Additions to agenda: one minute to orientation (Carrie proctor), 2 minutes in other business for Taskmeister, 2 minutes for upcoming events before ex-officio reports,

-approval of agenda by Brandon, seconded by Tegan, all in favour, unanimous

EX-EFFICIO REPORTS

CLC Update (Kristina): Just wanted to let you all need, res applications are out if you are a returning student you should be getting an email, vic.dean@utoronto.ca for more information there are two events for specifically grad students open to all students march 21st, first is pancakes & resumes, career center is coming for it Carrie is heading it and they are going to be doing drop in sessions so if you are interested in getting your resumes check by professionals check website and people from registrar will be answering questions about graduating, I'm trying to convince Emmanuel to serve pancakes in a graduation gown we'll see how that goes, and grad banquet tickets are being sold on that day with graduating awards that you can get more info about in the evening there's the life after Vic humanities edition so if you are a humanities students or skills that can get them a humanities type career you can learn from grads of Vic wit humanities degree and what they are doing register online, commuter dons interviews are happening so we'll announce that next meeting, collaboration with VUSAC, Dean's office, VOCA commuter mentorship program like Vic commuter connections so if you are a second year student or higher and want to mentor in coming first year students look out for those apps out by end of this week and it will only be a 5-10 hour commitment per month so it's a really great way to stay connected and getting involved without a huge amount

Alex: how many students?

Kristina: It's going to be mentor pairs, 2 mentors and 5 students, a connection between where you live and what you are studying

Dave: I'm assuming you have to be a current student?

Kristina: yep

Also finally, march 31st new leader day, mark it in your calendar if you have a elected position at Victoria college you are expected to come and welcome to come it's going to be great and fun and that is all

Adam: Upcoming events: 29th-exec apps close, elections info session 1 in cats eye, E & E doc and talk 8:30 pm in Cat's Eye, 1st- club heads RSVP for Crescams, 2nd-highball, 4th- inside out project starts, 5th- beginning of planet earth week, screening in cats eye, election info session in cats eye 4:15, 6th- aboriginal awareness doc and talk, post offer reception first year students on campus, 7th- VOCA pancakes, 8th-latina club night in collaboration with Innis, sustainability hot yam dinner with VOCA , 9th-nominations for elections close, and campaigning starts, sharing our stories workshop part of aboriginal awareness events, finance chair app, executive reviews, 12th- VUSAC meeting, auditions for Vic variety show

Caffiends (Susan): so we interviewed Hanna, and she is our new co-manager, from now until November

Shoaib moves to approve, seconded by Mariam, all in favour, to ratify Hannah as new Caffeinds co-manager

Introduces names

Cat's Eye (Savannah): hi everyone hope you had a good break, we'll be opening applications for the next co-manager soon before new leader day, yeah that's about it for us

Commissioner Reports

Student Projects (Dave): first and foremost if someone could make a motion to release 600 for jade hugenin to buy first aid equipment for Cat's Eye, Alex motions to release \$600 for first aid equipment from special projects fund seconded by Tegan, all in favour unanimous

Second order of business, all year we've been talking about business cards and sweaters I called a dude about sweaters everyone's agreed to pay half except one where VUSAC will subsidize entirely. It's \$755.20 cents, committee pays 250 dollars for all this, so I guess what I'm going to ask is that VUSAC release the entirety of the amount and as I dole out the sweaters and get the money ill just pay Brandon back

Brandon: Brandon personally yeah

The \$15 from someone who needs an extra subsidy won't come out of VUSAC pot we'll talk about it when it comes to levies getting sweaters it's a normal thing for half coverage.

Alex moves to release \$755.20 from the fund for sweaters, seconded by Tegan, all in favour , one abstention,

Adam: maybe I remembered wrong but didn't we say that for that contingency fund you could just use it and we didn't have to approve?

Dave: no everything has to be approved by VUSAC

Dave: my last point for business cards, one for board, exec, and chair they each cost \$47 so you get 300 cards and it will probably last an extremely large time

Brandon: use the templates that VUSAC uses so you don't have to order anything

Dave: perfect ok scratch that then

Orientation Updates (Carrie): leader updates open today and close march 16th so if you are interested in that go pick it up and spread the word, exec apps close this Wednesday so if you're still interested just be aware of deadline and exec interviews and hiring selection process is not this weekend but the following weekend so the results will be coming soon

Other Assessors

CRO Update (Rob): election nominations open this morning at least 10 packages already picked up so basically what I need is to help promote the elections and basically tell people they are happening and give them the dates and make sure nobody is campaigning in VUSAC office-neutral zone and if anyone could show up to the info sessions that would be great nominations close march 9th so tell people that

Judiciary Reports

President (Brandon): I've been contacted by some marketing employee of a Mexican company eager to provide free catering to get their name out so if everyone has an event soon ..so email me if everyone wants food for an event and ill hook you up with her and everyone will win

Brandon: Welcome back I hope you enjoyed your reading week I got nothing done. We have 3 meetings after this and one joint meeting so really only 2 together. Updates, we're working with Caffiends to get them back into their old space nothing has happened since its been reading week, we're working with admin to keep reading room we need someone to do the 25 min work and draft of what it will look so we have a floor plan that looks good

Angela: Draft what the perfect reading week works like and email it to me

Brandon: We don't have a principal yet but we will have one soon I guarantee you. Dave and I met with Kelly and Ray today about issue of students projects with limit on credit card, we haven't finalized it yet but suffice to say if anyone is not applying to it because they are afraid of how that works we will getting a system in place. Overnight study space tonight and tomorrow and if you want to go do some studying, especially if you are a commuter since its being paid from commuter experience. Grad photos, please get back to me and get it all sorted out with Lassman studios and please do go this week preferably Wednesday at latest or else you won't be in composite. Goldring center they finally reached their first floor which is nice and to keep you impressed there is one very concerned parent who contact deans office board of regents whose contacted VUSAC has anyone heard any complaints who has been living in Marg Ad?

Angela: I have.

Brandon: nothing new everything's pretty much the same?

Angela: it's not a complaint but some people have said that the construction workers are really nice.

Brandon: VUSAC meetings, don't let shortsighted ambition get in the way of team work..Mexican catering..

Anastasia: for highball

Brandon: why not

Mariam: regarding overnight study sessions do you need any new volunteers or is it sorted?

Brandon: its paid positions and secondly, no though they sat vacant we had to grab people

Brian: what were we suppose to get our terms for next term last week?

Brandon: speak to Kristina. She'll take care of it for you

Sustainability (Tegan): Upcoming events: wed night we're collaborating –taking root inspiring movies you'll ever see so if you have free time come watch it 8:30 pm in the Cat's Eye there's free food also, next week we're screening documentaries with planet earth at cats eye and we also have collaboration with VOCA to do Hot Yam catered dinner. Food services 10% of their food now comes from local sustainability sources, increasing to 25% in a few years also cage free egg meals and Sarah Berger she's going to help with the signs to make it more noticeable

I'm going to be doing some work with them for their social media and update their Facebook page and have the menu posted daily on Facebook page for students. Sustainability policy update- I talked to Kelly today and she and ray are taking the policy to senior admin meeting tomorrow morning, hopefully we will get our revision passed ill update you guys on that ill look into board of regents after that just so its passed all levels because at this point the things we advertise in the policy has already been done its just about publicity for college.

Brandon: I cannot get through to you enough about how many hoops she's jumped to get this policy thing so thank Tegan before you go to bed tonight

Scarlet & Gold (Anastasia): first of all highball is this week so if you haven't bought your tickets yet buy them but not after office hours, by 5:30 or you don't get one we'll also be selling dance tickets but please do not tell anybody this until Tuesday night we're trying to sell as many full tickets otherwise we go broke we'll be sending Facebook messages after that for 15\$ a dance ticket. Kathleen has come up with a new style of ticket

Kathleen: it's going to slightly different we'll take our remaining so there's no confusion it'll just say dance at 9:30. In terms of buying tickets it's still important you get everybody to show their Tcard I don't think it matters anymore if they are a Vic student.

Anastasia: just sell them the ticket if someone comes in tomorrow and they are not a Vic student

Kathleen: don't need to know their dietary restriction anymore and you don't need to fill out table list

Anastasia: sign up for a table or else it'll be random

Angela: for dance tickets are they allowed to take bus or is that just for dinner people?

Anastasia: buses run from 5:30 to 7 and then not until end of night again so they have to get to the venue themselves but TTC is attached to venue so it shouldn't be a problem

Kathleen: they could take the bus an hour early but they couldn't get in till 9:30

Angela: when does the bus start?

Anastasia: 12:30 till 2

Kathleen: so basically ticket selling process exact same, not table numbers or dietary restrictions and make sure they pay for their dance ticket

Anastasia: Everything's coming together pretty well at this point. Also Latin dance night with Evita next week with Innis college council maybe new college council

Evita: I think I already went over it a little bit but basically we have a Latin DJ come in and we have half the place to ourselves, he's going to play all these cool Spanish songs, \$3 in advance and \$5 at door, club 292 on college and Spadina it's a really nice place it's not sketchy or anything everyone is super nice so you should come

Kathleen: currently the name of it is Latin club night but it's not very exciting so does anybody have any suggestions of any other names?

Angela: dirty dancing Havana nights or salsa or flamenco or something like that?

Anastasia: but it's not that so it's misleading

Angela: dirty dancing Latin night

Mariam: maybe translate into Spanish?

Brandon: I wouldn't invest too heavily in the name its more about the design and aesthetic if you call it Latin night with picture of people dancing I think it'll be fine

Angela: why not just call it Latin Nights?

E & E (Alex): E&E has been working on a lot of exciting things for this semester, I only listed two they are the only ones coming up really soon the rest will be surprises. Inside out project showing diversity in community started by French artist J.R anyways, the idea is that we're going to take portraits of people in our community and post them on building walls we've been in touch with the Dean's Office and President Gooch so we have their full support in collaboration with VicXposure it'll be something fresh and new and we'll liven up the space with black and white photos anyways aboriginal awareness events are coming up next week, we have the doc and talk CBC special about how indigenous and non-indigenous people can forward as a unified group- bannack pancakes, its literally fried dough and its delicious because its fried dough if you haven't had it go enjoy it and try its usually eaten with maple syrup and butter its tasty that's on wed during pancakes, last is the sharing our stories workshop, interactive with members of aboriginal comm. In Toronto and the ways they've gotten involved in music, art etc, and how you can get involved will probably be an interesting an talk Fri, March 9th 6-8 pm you should go check it out.

Brandon: I'll be there for sure close to my heart

(Other Business) Angela: Hi this is kind of a personal business so I am going to be in a show next week called the vagina monologues so the reason why I'm talking about it is because it's done in collaboration with hart house social justice committee one of its directors is a Vic student and many members involved in the production are Vic students it would mean a lot to me if you came out next Thurs, Fri, and Sat, at Hart house- a part of the Vday project which is sort of in support of equality for women and to stop violence against women and the proceeds from the show will be going to I forget the exact name but it's a community center in Toronto where they provide women living in poverty with clothing food shelter, and feminine hygiene products which are actually very necessary if you think about it so it would mean a lot if you guys would consider going and ill put an event on the VUSAC Facebook group. If anyone wants to know about tickets please email me

Alex: To add to other business, march 22nd, that's world water day so be on the lookout for some fun and exciting happening going out in the quad

Ryan: the reason why I moaned is because VicPride is going so we'll be there in full support of you.

Kristina: A message from tom Osborne the TVs are up so that's a bursar's project so you might see them at Burwash or Birge if you have anything to go up on the TV you can send it to me and ill compile things to send to tom

Oh and sorry last thing; the format they want them in is PowerPoint so a PowerPoint slide is the thing that goes up on the TV

Brandon: right now send it to Kristina, next year we'll have mechanism for communication

Angela: for this year are there any qualifications of what you need to be...can you just be a Vic student or..do you have to be?

Kristina: Ask Tom directly or you can send them to me and I'll pass them along because he's heading the project

Adam: Taskmeister

Meeting adjourned 10:12 motioned by Angela, seconded by Evita, all in favour, unanimous